08 July 2014

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah


On June 24th The Criterion Collection released A Hard Day's Night in a most spectacular and comprehensive edition. There were many hands on deck for this one and I was one of the designers asked to contribute some cover concepts. Ultimately Criterion went with a solution by the estimable Rodrigo Corral but for a while these were a contender. At the time we hadn't settled on a color solution. There were dozens. Here's four. One for each Beatle. There were other designs as well. I'll see about posting those at a later date.



2 comments:

DirectorDonP said...

I love the ones that use the 'field' as the background. This may be the only design I've seen that really makes sense of Ringo's jokey jump (remaining connected to the ground) while the others are raining from the sky...Excellent work - puts the Australian design to shame...

F Ron Miller said...

Thanks Don. There was a lot of discussion about showing a background vs. not. I lean towards the ones that do. I like the context. An exciting thing for me as it came together was discovering that one could take what are four discreet shots from the film, collage them together in one and still have the perspective work as well as it does. Ringo's jump --as jokey as it is-- just about doubles as a landing. So, conceptually speaking, there was my idea for the piece as it related to the movie and the era: Beatlemania had arrived, as if from nowhere, falling from the sky!